Newton at Home depends on the
active involvement of Newton residents who are committed to our success. More
than 100 volunteers work in a wide variety of capacities. We encourage
interested volunteers of all ages to contact us. Also, please be in touch if
you know of a Girl or Boy Scout Group, athletic team, or Church or Synagogue
youth club that is looking to rake leaves, organize a book drive, or interact
with our members in a myriad of ways that support our
Opportunities are available to provide direct services and
transportation for our members, as well as administrative work in the office and
Please complete this Newton at Home NAH Volunteer Application and
submit it to our office. You will be contacted to schedule a brief interview and
Immediate needs for direct service volunteers
- Drivers: to provide transportation to doctors' appointments,
grocery and other stores, the library, and Logan Airport.
- Handyman Services: We are now on the
lookout for volunteers who can do small repairs around the home and
light yard work.
- Technology Help:
provide assistance with personal computers, the Internet, cell phones, TVs and
- Light help at home: water plants, decluttering, light
gardening, small projects.
Opportunities to work with Newton at Home's
- Program Committee: looking for volunteers who have an interest in planning cultural events for Newton at Home members and guests to attend such as concerts, museum exhibits, gardening trips, theater performances, and art galleries and sporting events such as professional or college basketball, baseball, and other sports events. This includes researching possible events; getting information about price, dates, times etc.; speaking to people on the phone to promote registrations; and writing up descriptions of events. This committee also plans NAH's "affinity groups" such as book clubs, dining clubs, and the group which attends and discusses local lectures on national and international topics. The skills that we are looking for are organizational skills, communication skills, and excellent teamwork skills. Prior experience in event planning is not necessary.
- Health and Wellness Committee: help create, plan and manage health-related programs/forums for Newton at Home members and the general public as well as small-group fitness activities such as walking groups, yoga classes, and seasonal excursions such as kayaking and hiking trips. Committee members need not necessarily participate in these activities but would be willing to help organize the events.
- Fundraising Committee: Although NAH is a membership organization, member dues do not cover the full cost of providing all the services used. Therefore, NAH must raise additional funds through grants and requests to its members and the larger Newton community including local businesses. Depending on skills and experience, fundraising volunteers research foundation support; help write grant applications; assist in identifying individual, corporate and foundation donors; solicit donations; and support the development/fundraising plan. Experience is not required.
- Marketing and Communications Committee: Need for Marketing Communications Writers and Public Relations writers to help Newton at Home increase it visibility. Qualifications: (1) in-depth experience in at least some of these areas: collateral materials (brochures, flyers, etc.), promotional letters,direct mail, press releases or feature stories and/or (2) public relations background that includes writing and placing stories and/or (3) experience working with graphic design professionals a big plus.
- Technology Committee and Webmaster: NAH is looking for volunteers who are interested in doing technology-related activities supporting NAH’s management and operations. The Technology Committee has responsibility for office technology (PC hardware, software, and peripherals); phones, internet, email, and “cloud” services; updating and maintaining the NAH website and our office applications (from ClubExpress and Intuit); relationships with tech vendors; and technology support to the NAH staff and office volunteers. Our most significant current needs are in providing
“webmaster” services, which include updating and maintaining the NAH
web and making recommendations for its improvement and in learning the ClubExpress application and helping the office staff and volunteers learn how to use the features effectively. However, there are other technology opportunities as well.
Opportunities to work in Newton at Home's office include:
- Vendor Services Coordinator: A significant part of helping members age in their home successfully is helping members connect with reliable and trustworthy vendors who provide high-quality services that members need at reasonable costs. These services can be most anything – plumber,lawyer, dog-walker, travel agent, pool cleaner, gardener, locksmith, personal trainer, etc. The role of NAH’s Vendor Services Coordinator is to identify vendors, vet them (references, CORI checks; checking liability insurance, etc.), and evaluate the service after delivery so that NAH has a reliable and up-to-date list of high-quality vendors who can be recommended to our members.
- Youth Outreach Coordinator: NAH places a high priority on developing inter-generational programs that provide benefits to both NAH members and area youth. NAH members can share knowledge and advice developed over many years, while students can help with more direct services, such as physical help around the home and help with technology such as computers and cellphones. The NAH Youth Outreach Coordinator would: publicize Internship opportunities at Newton at Home; recruit volunteers from area colleges and universities, high schools and youth groups; maintain regular contact with volunteer groups and volunteer offices at area schools, including collaboration on group volunteer opportunities; follow-up on the volunteers’ activities and evaluate programs; and work regularly with the Volunteer Coordinator.
Newton at Home members benefit from your skills
and your time. Please contact us!